The Marion Institute’s Executive Director, Liz Wiley, shares the gift of healing via a soothing tonic to cure all (OK, maybe not all) your winter woes!
“We use this tonic at our house when we are feeling run down or a cold coming on. I make a large batch and drink it throughout the day.”
Winter Wellness Tonic
- Large Mason jar (64oz) or other large heat-resistant container
- 1 large lemon
- 2-3 gloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped (turmeric works great too.)
- Approx. 5 sprigs of Thyme
- Healthy dollop of honey – 1 large Tbls or more to taste
- 1-2 Tbs of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
*Organic or locally-sourced ingredients are preferable.
- Squeeze all the juice out of the lemon—seeds and all—then drop the lemon in the container with the juice; you will strain everything at the end.
- Add remaining ingredients (prepared as directed above) into the Mason jar and fill with hot water.
- Let sit, covered with a tea towel, for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the tonic into a cup and leave the rest to keep brewing. The longer it sits the more potent it becomes.
- Add more hot water to your cup as you continue to finish off the tonic.
For a downloadable PDF of this recipe, click here.