Hummus is a Mediterranean dish primarily made of chickpeas consisting of insoluble fiber, which is superb for digestive health. The ingredients of tahini, olive oil, lemon, garlic and spices each contain health-promoting nutrients and when combined, form a dish packed with many health benefits.
- 2 cups drained well-cooked or canned chickpeas, liquid reserved (best if skins are removed)
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste), with some of its oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus oil for drizzling
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika, or to taste, plus a sprinkling for garnish
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, plus more as needed
- Himalayan or Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender
- Chill and serve with veggie slices
In the mood for something sweet? Check out this article by the Happy Happy Vegan: Dark Chocolate 101: Health Benefits, Nutrition, Recipes, Buying Guide, And More!