Scholarship Applications are reviewed four times a year in November, March, June, and September.
The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund, managed by The Marion Institute, Inc. (MI), a nonprofit organization, is based upon the conviction that need-based financial assistance be accessible to patients seeking biological medicine care. Healthcare providers looking for financial assistance for patients seeking other types of care could explore patient financing from United Medical Credit as an alternative.
The fund honors the legacy of Mary Norton Shands, whose pioneering and compassionate efforts helped to bring biological medicine to North America. Mary will always be remembered for her extraordinary kindness, generosity, and vision.
The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund provides monetary assistance to those seeking care from one of the BioMed Network Care Providers, or a provider qualified to become a part of the BioMed Network. We are committed to making biological medicine accessible and we will review applicants with equality, impartiality and humanity.
Scholarship Assistance is based on the following criteria:
- Urgency of need. Applicants are required to submit documentation of the diagnosis, treatment recommendation, and estimated cost(s) from the applicant’s current practitioner/center.
- Financial need. Financial need is based on individuals earning less than $100,000.00 per year and/or families earning less than $200,000.00 per year. Applicants are required to send a copy of their most recent tax return or tax transcript from the IRS as financial documentation for the Application Committee to determine financial need. We ask that social security numbers are completely obscured.
- A commitment to treatment program and the desire to change modifiable behaviors.
- All monetary aid provided by the Mary Shands Scholarship Fund shall be paid directly to the practitioner/center. Under no circumstance will payments be made directly to the applicant.
- The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund provides partial financial assistance for biological medicine treatment, the applicant will be responsible for the remainder of the treatment costs, paid directly to the practitioner/center.
- Applicants must currently be an accepted patient of the practitioner/center for which you are applying for financial aid..
- Funds are only to be used by the recipient and are not transferable.
- Funds are limited to direct diagnostic testing and therapeutic treatment. Funds may not be used for services covered by a patient’s health and/or dental insurance plan. Funds may not be used to pay copayments, coinsurance, and/or deductibles, which are all the patients’ responsibility.
- Funds may not be used for transportation, lodging, food, spa services, elective procedures not prescribed by the practitioner. Financial assistance may not be used to cover payments for past treatments.
- Funds may not exceed the cost of treatments.
- Awards are to be kept confidential and not to be discussed with other patients.
The application will be reviewed by the MI Scholarship Committee quarterly, in November, March, June, and September. Only completed applications will be moved forward to the scholarship committee for review. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants who wish to be considered in the September applicant pool must have all application materials submitted by Friday, September 3rd, 2021. Applicants who wish to be considered in the November applicant pool must have all application materials submitted by Friday, November 5th, 2021. Applications completed after the dates indicated will automatically be included for consideration at the next scheduled committee meeting.
Instructions for Completion of Financial Award Request Form
- It is preferred that the patient complete the application. If the patient is under the age of 18, both the patient and a parent or guardian must sign the consent form. If the patient is over the age of 18, but physically unable to complete the form, a spouse, sibling, parent or friend may complete the form. However, the patient must sign the consent form.
- The application may be submitted: online via fax (508) 748-1976; mailed to: Mary Shands Scholarship Fund, Marion Institute, 202 Spring Street, Marion, MA 02738; or scanned to email@example.com.
- The questionnaire packet is a Microsoft Word form and each response is an expandable area, so that the applicant may type directly into the application.
- As part of the application process we require documentation of the diagnosis, treatment recommendation, and estimated cost from your current treatment team. We require a signed release of information at the end of the application to provide The Marion Institute, Inc. the ability to contact your medical providers.
- Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notification of Financial Assistance
- Applicants will be notified via email with the amount of financial assistance indicated following the MI Scholarship Committees.
- A Scholarship Funds Receipt Form will be sent to the practitioner/center with payment and a copy will be emailed to the recipient. The recipient must start care with agreed upon facility within six months of notification of award. After that date, any unused monies must be returned to the MI.
- The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund award will be sent directly to the practitioner/center. Any change in treatment requires approval from the Scholarship Committee and may require a new application for consideration at a later date.
- Applicants not receiving financial assistance will be notified by email. Individuals may reapply if there is a change in circumstances. Upon acceptance of financial aid from the Mary Shands Scholarship, the recipient agrees to submit follow-up questionnaires back to the Marion Institute in a timely manner. If the recipient does not comply with the questionnaires, the Marion Institute reserves the right to request that any and all funds that have been awarded be returned from the practitioner/center. At that time the recipient would responsible for all costs they have incurred.
- If a patient chooses not to receive treatment from the agreed upon practitioner/center, the applicant must submit a new application.
Financial Assistance Application
The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund under The Marion Institute, Inc. will not use personal information for any reason other than to make determinations for financial assistance.
All application sections should be typed directly into the application form.
Please upload your most recent tax return or transcript from the IRS, and documentation of the diagnosis, treatment recommendation, and estimated cost(s) from your current practitioner/center directly via this secure encrypted website.
If you choose to submit a paper version, please click here to download a printable PDF. When complete, please print the form, sign where indicated and submit along with all requested financial information and a copy of your diagnosis and treatment plan from the practitioner/center to:
Fax: (508) 748-1976
ATTN: Mary Shands Scholarship Fund
Mary Shands Scholarship Fund
202 Spring Street
Marion, MA 02738