The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund, operated by The Marion Institute, Inc. (MI), (a nonprofit organization), is based upon the conviction that need based financial assistance be accessible to patients seeking care. Mary Shands was a visionary who dedicated herself with passion and generosity and pioneered the value of the tenets of bioregulatory medicine. This fund has been set up to honor her memory.
The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund is set up to provide monetary assistance to those seeking care from one of the BioMed Network Care Providers, or a provider qualified to become a part of the BioMed Network, please see link to website for list. The Scholarship Fund recognizes that its mission holds that a foundation of health is a necessity for all. We are committed that doors will not be closed to those who lack financial resources, and we will service patients with equality, impartiality and humanity.
Financial Assistance Criteria
Financial assistance is offered for patients seeking treatment through bioregulatory medicine regardless of their health concern. The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund provides partial financial assistance for treatment in accordance to how much they are awarded in aid. All monetary aid provided by the Mary Shands Scholarship Fund shall be paid directly to the medical facility/medical provider. You must currently be an accepted patient of the practitioner/center that you requesting any awarded scholarship money to be sent to. No monies awarded shall pass hands through the recipient of the financial assistance. The patient/applicant will be responsible for the remainder of the treatment costs, paid directly to the chosen medical facility/medical provider.
Financial Assistance is based on the following criteria:
- Urgency of need
- Financial need
- Commitment to treatment program and the desire to change modifiable behaviors
Financial need is based on the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG). Applicants with an annual household income exceeding 500% FPG will not be considered for financial assistance unless medical costs within the same application year offset the net income (Please note that this chart is not applicable for residents of Alaska, Hawaii and Washington, D.C.)
Applicants are required to send a copy of their most recent tax return or tax transcript from the IRS as financial documentation for the Application Committee to determine financial need. We ask that social security numbers are completely obscured.
Percentages Over 2020 Poverty Guidelines: 48 Contiguous States and D.C.
|Persons in Household
*Add $4,480 for each person over 8
- Funds awarded to patient are restricted for the specific care of said patient. Funds are limited to direct diagnostic testing and therapeutic treatment. Funds may not be used for services covered by a patient’s health and/or dental insurance plan. In addition funds may not be used to pay copayments, coinsurance, and/or deductibles, which are all the patients’ responsibility.
- Funds may not be used for transportation, lodging, food, spa services, elective procedures not prescribed by the practitioner, supplements or pharmaceuticals.
- Financial assistance may not be used to cover payments for past treatments.
- Funds may not exceed the cost of treatments.
- Funds are only to be used by the recipient and are not transferable.
The application process will be overseen by the Biomed Program Coordinator and will include review and selection of recipients by the committee.
Instructions for Completion of Financial Award Request Form
- It is preferred that the patient complete the application. If the patient is under the age of 18, both the patient and a parent or guardian must sign the consent form. If the patient is over the age of 18 but physically unable to complete the form, a spouse, sibling, parent or friend may complete the form, but the patient must sign the consent form.
- The application may be submitted via fax (508) 748-1976; hard copy mailed to: Attention: BioMed Programs/Marion Institute, Mary Shands Scholarship Fund, 202 Spring Street, Marion, MA 02738; or scanned to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The questionnaire packet is an expandable Microsoft Word form. Therefore, each item within the questionnaire is an expandable area, so that you may type directly into the application.
- As part of the application process we may require documentation of the diagnosis and treatment recommendation from your current treatment team. We require a signed release of information at the end of the application to provide The Marion Institute, Inc. the ability to contact your medical providers.
- Awards are to be kept confidential and not to be discussed with other patients at their designated place of treatment.
- If there are questions regarding any of the items to be completed, please contact the Marion Institute, Inc. at email@example.com.
Process for Reviewing Applications
- Once your completed application has been received by The Marion Institute, Inc. you will receive notification confirming its receipt. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The application will first be reviewed for missing or unclear information. If additional information is needed, the applicant (or parent/guardian) will be contacted. Please allow approximately 30 days for the review process to be completed. It is up to the applicant to provide current and up to date contact information.
- The application will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Urgency of need
- Financial need
- Commitment to treatment program and desire to change
- Award amounts will be based on the criteria listed above, the number of applications, available funds and potential cost of treatment.
- The Application Committee reserves the right to make any exceptions to the criteria as is deemed necessary.
- It is up to the applicant to make sure the all information provided is true and accurate.
Notification of Financial Assistance
- All applicants will be notified within approximately 30 days from the date that the application was received. (Please note notifications are made on working business days.)
- Each recipient will be notified via email and phone call as soon as the decision has been made, with the amount of financial assistance indicated.
- A notification letter will be mailed to the recipient and a copy will be emailed to the chosen medical facility/medical provider.
- The recipient must start care with agreed upon facility within six months of notification of award. After that date if care has not been initiated any funds that are unused will be considered available for future applicants and requested to be returned from the agreed upon facility.
- The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund award will be sent directly to the agreed upon medical center/medical provider. Any change in treatment requires approval from the Application Committee and may require a new application for consideration at a later date.
- Applicants not receiving financial assistance will be notified by our preferred means of communication, email . One may reapply at any time in the future based on a change in their criteria.
- Upon acceptance of funds from the Mary Shands Scholarship the recipient agrees to submit follow-up questionnaires back to the Marion Institute in a timely manner. If the recipient does not comply with the questionnaires, the Marion Institute reserves the right to request that any and all funds that have been awarded be returned from the agreed medical facility. At that time the recipient would be held responsible for all costs they have incurred up until that point.
If a patient chooses not to receive treatment from the agreed upon medical facility/medical provider, they would have to resubmit a new application to again become eligible for additional funds.
Financial Assistance Application
The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund under The Marion Institute, Inc. will not use personal information for any reason other than to make determinations for financial assistance.
All application sections should be typed directly into the application form.
Please upload the requested financial documents and submit your form directly via this website.
If you choose to submit a paper version, please click here to download a printable PDF. When complete, please print the form, sign where indicated and submit along with all requested financial information via:
Fax: (508) 748-1976
ATTN: BioMed Coordinator
ATTN: BioMed Coordinator/Marion Institute
202 Spring Street
Marion, MA 02738