The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund
The Mary Shands Scholarship Program is currently suspended until further notice due to insufficient funds. Applications will not be accepted. Please scroll down if you wish to make a donation to the fund.
Scholarship Applications are reviewed by an awarding Committee four times a year in March, June, September, and December. Please scroll down to see application deadlines.
The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund, managed by The Marion Institute, Inc. (MI), a nonprofit organization, is based upon the conviction that need-based financial assistance be accessible to patients seeking biological medicine care.
The fund honors the legacy of Mary Norton Shands, whose pioneering and compassionate efforts helped bring biological medicine to North America. Mary will always be remembered for her extraordinary kindness, generosity, and vision.
The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund provides monetary assistance to those seeking care from a BioMed Network Care Provider or a provider qualified to become a part of the BioMed Network. The Scholarship Committee is committed to making biological medicine accessible and reviews applicants with equity, impartiality and humanity.
Scholarship Assistance is based on the following criteria:
- Urgency of need. Applicants are required to submit documentation of the diagnosis, treatment recommendation, and estimated cost(s) from the applicant’s current practitioner/center.
- Financial need. Financial need is based on individuals earning less than $100,000.00 per year and/or families earning less than $200,000.00 per year. Applicants are required to send a copy of their most recent tax return or tax transcript from the IRS as financial documentation for the Scholarship Committee to determine financial need. We ask that social security numbers are completely obscured.
- A commitment to treatment program and the desire to change modifiable behaviors.
Due to the volume of applications and a limited amount funds, the scholarship’s intention is to provide support and not to serve as the sole option for applicants seeking treatment for chronic health issues. Applicants must be able to show some financial independence, whether that is through employment, savings, angel donors, friends, family, crowd funding, etc. This is to demonstrate that they are able to continue follow-up care or ongoing treatment for up to six months. The scholarship is to provide added support only.
- All monetary aid provided by the Mary Shands Scholarship Fund shall be paid directly to the practitioner/center. Under no circumstance will payments be made directly to the applicant.
- The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund provides partial financial assistance for biological medicine treatment. The applicant bears responsibility for the remainder of treatment costs, paid directly to the practitioner/center.
- Applicants must currently be an accepted patient of the practitioner/center to which they are applying for financial aid.
- Funds are only to be used by the recipient and are not transferable.
- Funds are limited to direct diagnostic testing and therapeutic treatment. Funds may not be used for services covered by a patient’s health and/or dental insurance plan. Funds may not be used to pay copayments, coinsurance, and/or deductibles, which are all the patients’ responsibility.
- Funds may not be used for transportation, lodging, food, spa services, elective procedures not prescribed by the practitioner. Financial assistance may not be used to cover payments for past treatments.
- Funds may not exceed the cost of treatments.
- Awards are to be kept confidential and are not to be discussed with other patients.
- Due to financial constraints and the volume of new applicants, scholarship applicants are eligible to receive a one-time award. The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund is not able to re-award past scholarship recipients.
- While members of the same household are eligible to apply for funding, only one member is eligible to receive an award at a time. Unawarded members remain eligible to re-apply for scholarship funding at a later date.
Applications are reviewed by the MI Scholarship Committee quarterly, in March, June, September, and December. Only completed applications will be put forward to the Scholarship Committee for review. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants who wish to be considered must have all completed materials submitted by 5pm ET on the first Friday of the month during which the Committee plans to convene.
First Quarter: Applications are due by 5pm ET the first Friday of March
Second Quarter: Applications are due by 5pm ET the first Friday of June
Third Quarter: Applications are due by 5pm ET the first Friday of September
Fourth Quarter: Applications are due by 5pm ET the first Friday of December
Applications completed after the first Friday will automatically be included for consideration at the next scheduled committee meeting.
Instructions for Completion of Financial Award Request Form
- It is preferred that the patient complete the application. If the patient is under the age of 18, both the patient and a parent or guardian must sign the consent form. If the patient is over the age of 18, but physically unable to complete the form, a spouse, sibling, parent or friend may complete the form. However, the patient must sign the consent form.
- The application may be submitted: online; via fax (508) 748-1976; mailed to: Mary Shands Scholarship Fund, Marion Institute, 202 Spring Street, Marion, MA 02738; or scanned to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The questionnaire packet is an online secure and encrypted form so that the applicant may type directly into the application as well as upload necessary files.
- As part of the application process the Committee requires documentation of the diagnosis, treatment recommendation, and estimated cost from the applicant’s current treatment team. The Committee additionally requires a signed release of information at the end of the application to provide The Marion Institute, Inc. the ability to contact the applicant’s medical providers.
- Questions may be directed to email@example.com.
Notification of Financial Assistance
- Applicants will be notified via email with the amount of financial assistance indicated following the MI Scholarship Committee meeting.
- A Scholarship Funds Receipt Form will be sent to the practitioner/center with payment and a copy will be emailed to the recipient. The recipient must start care with agreed upon facility within six months of notification of award. After that date, any unused monies must be returned to the MI.
- The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund award will be sent directly to the practitioner/center. Any change in treatment requires approval from the Scholarship Committee and may require a new application for consideration at a later date.
- Applicants not receiving financial assistance will be notified by email. Individuals may reapply if there is a change in circumstances. Upon acceptance of financial aid from the Mary Shands Scholarship, the recipient agrees to submit follow-up questionnaires back to the Marion Institute in a timely manner. If the recipient does not comply with the questionnaires, the Marion Institute reserves the right to request that any and all funds that have been awarded be returned from the practitioner/center. At that time the recipient would responsible for all costs they have incurred.
- If a patient chooses not to receive treatment from the agreed upon practitioner/center, the applicant must submit a new application.
Financial Assistance Application
The Mary Shands Scholarship Fund under The Marion Institute, Inc. will not use personal information for any reason other than to make determinations for financial assistance.
All application sections should be typed directly into the application form.
CLICK HERE TO BE REDIRECTED TO THE SECURE APPLICATION FORM.
Please upload your most recent tax return or transcript from the IRS, and documentation of the diagnosis, treatment recommendation, and estimated cost(s) from your current practitioner/center directly via this secure encrypted website.
If you choose to submit a paper version, please click here to download a printable PDF. When complete, please print the form, sign where indicated and submit along with all requested financial information and a copy of your diagnosis and treatment plan from the practitioner/center to:
Fax: (508) 748-1976
ATTN: Mary Shands Scholarship Fund
Mary Shands Scholarship Fund
202 Spring Street
Marion, MA 02738