Keepin' It Green
As a community coming together at Connecting for Change to offer and celebrate solutions for restoring the Earth, we must be aware of our individual and collective practices, both at the conference and in our home communities.
In our planning for this event, we have been engaged in a focused effort to transform the conference culture towards zero waste by designing waste out of the system wherever possible. So, we begin by eliminating the introduction of materials or products that will eventually end up in the landful, in the last three years we have produced roughly ten bags of trash - REDUCE. Then we go into our office basement, borrow from friends and allies materials that can be used during the three-day conference weekend - REUSE. Lastly, we redirect as much as we can to be RECYCLED/COMPOSTED. Just in the past three years we have recycled over 1820 pounds of material and filled fifty-four 95-gallon containers with compost!
At our first annual Bioneers by the Bay conference in 2005, Julia Butterfly Hill challenged us to go green. We have taken this challenge to heart and have strived to green the conference each of the past 5 years. This year we are hoping to build on our past greening initiatives to, to drastically reduce our ecological footprint. If you have any ideas on how to better do this please feel free to CONTACT US.
Be Part of the Solution
We can't green Connecting for Change without your help and participation. Make choices that nurture our precious planet and we thank you for your partnership.
- carpool to the Conference
- bring a bag or backpack to carry any items you may purchase or collect at the conference
- select only handouts that you will read, and then pass them on to a friend or return them
- reuse paper
- bring your own water bottle
- bring your own mug for coffee and drinks
- avoid using paper towels
- recycle whatever you can, including your name badge at the end of the event
- help create nutrient-rich Bioneers soil by composting
- put Connecting for Change program in our “program recycling bins” when you are finished with them
- support local businesses and farmers markets