Cambodian Youth Arts Festival 2012
The Cambodian Youth Arts Festival (CYAF) brings together master artists, arts students, and non-arts students from allied arts and non-art communities across Cambodia in order to:
• Raise awareness about Cambodian arts amongst non-artists, especially amongst young Cambodian people and increase the number of people who want to learn Cambodian arts;
• Strengthen the network between Cambodian artists and encourage them to create, and develop professionally;
CLA has already conducted five festivals, allowing CLA students to meet their peers from others parts of the country and exchange ideas.The first two festivals in Siem Reap had approximately 300 attendees each, and the subsequent two festivals in Battambang had approximately 500 attendees each. In 2010, the festival in Phnom Penh featured 25 partner arts organizations, had 500 attendees over 5 days, plus over 2,000 observers who came to see nightly performances.
CYAF 2012 will hold its 6th celebration (the 2nd in Phnom Penh) starting from November 10th to 16th, 2012. We hope to increase the number of arts partners that we work with on the program, which will include workshops in public schools, public performances, including new work commissioned especially for the festival, and a seminar for those working in the arts. For the first time, this year's CYAF will also include Visual Arts.
The outreach workshops with public schools is a major initiative for this year’s festival. We will promote Cambodian arts to new audiences, by connecting art students and teachers with non-art students, through training and giving them a chance to observe performances and join workshops.
CYAF hopes that both art students and non-art students will benefit from this exchange, learning, updating and sharing their experiences in the arts.
Schedule of CYAF 2012
• The Opening Ceremony will be held on November 10th. The ceremony will include a Pithy Sampeah Krou ceremony.
• Performances will start on November 10th and go through the end of the festival. An outdoor stage will offer free performances and an indoor stage will host admission-based shows. The program will feature both amateur and professional artists from throughout the arts community.
• Visual arts exhibitions will take place throughout the week of the festival, at venues around the city.
• Workshops will be held from November 10th to 16th at public schools. Sessions will be delivered by different artists and arts organizations, and will include demonstrations, Q & A, hands-on practice, and jam sessions.They will feature both performing and visual arts.
• A professional 1-day seminar will be held, for young leaders in the arts, including both artists and arts managers. This is an opportunity for them to share experiences and information about Cambodian arts and discuss issues affecting the sector.
• A Closing Ceremony will be held on November 16th.
The CYAF 2012 team:
We are delighted to be collaborating with outside partners in the production of this year’s festival. Our highly motivated team for the CYAF 2012 is: